Detroit showing some backbone and identifying the right enemies in the war against austerity.
"…In downtown Detroit, about 1,000 shouting, banner-carrying and flag-waving marchers shouted slogans blaming Wall Street banks and predatory mortgage lenders for causing the poverty that, they say, has left thousands of Detroiters facing water shutoffs."
We support the Moratorium NOW! coalition, the National Nurses United, BANCO and other groups on the ground who are fighting to stop privatization, evictions and emergency dictatorship – and fighting to tax Wall Street speculators.
It’s time to strengthen our economic demands and NOT to get suckered into the same foundation-funded strategies that wrecked Occupy Wall Street. If the demand is not for economic reform, it’s not a real demand. We demand:
• A moratorium on foreclosures and evictions
• A 1% Wall Street Sales Tax to rebuild the social safety net and protect public pensions and jobs
• Seize the Federal Reserve to issue $5 trillion in long-term, interest free public credit to rebuild America’s roads, rail, bridges, schools and other public infrastructure
• Reinstate a protective tariff to bring industrial jobs back to Detroit and other American cities
• Reinstate a parity price for agriculture to make America’s family farms more numerous and more profitable
• Rebuild a strong social safety net starting with Medicare for All.